We, as Minority business owners, have difficulty with finding resources. This will be a 2-part series on resources for minority-owned business.
Part 1 Resources for minority-owned business
- Resources for getting started
- Resources for Certification
- Small Business Grants for Minority Entrepreneurs
- Resources for Minority Business Loans
Part 2 Resources for Networking
- The SBA 8 (a) Business Development Program
- Resources for Handling Small Business Taxes
The series regarding “Resources available” has 4 sections as you can see above and will be broken down with a new one every two weeks.
Let’s get started with “resources for getting started”.
A great place that we started at was with the Small Business Administration (SBA). They assist with resources for building a business plan, educational resources, and information on government contracting. Grants and Loans with the SBA. Which a few I have listed below tailored to minority businesses.
- The National Association for the Self Employed (NASE) Growth Grants Program – These are micro-grants worth up to $4,000 each and you must be a member to qualify. Please note that they are not exclusive to minority small businesses, yet they can help with smaller businesses that are not able to get any other type of financing.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (SBTT) – These grants are good to start with business development for minority-owned businesses. They work with the ones who are engaged with development and cutting-edge research.
- Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) – They provide grants to Minority business centers throughout the US. They offer Consulting, procurement matching, financial assistance for minority-owned businesses. They also run a separate ongoing grant competition program.
Remember exploring for the assistance you will want to pick a choice the best resources that will develop your minority business. Taking time to build your business is truly an effort that will have a worthwhile result in the end.